Free and open to the public
Metropolitan Museum Of Design Detroit presents detroitUNDERGROUND 69 as a platform for educational enrichment and as an experiential opportunity. Each year MM-O-DD's research and curatorial council will select a different music, dance or creative platform which meshes with the Design Industry. The Detroit underground scene has an intense relationship focused on graphic, fashion and product Design and more. For 2022 we will focus on PUNK culture.
We researched and asked the 'originals' aka those who were there back in the 1970's-1990's as we developed the exhibition with their guidance through their watchful eye. We aim to be authentic as we honor those who were their then and now. The Detroit Punk scene is not Dead!
JERRY VIAL, KATY HAIT, PAUL ZIMMERMAN, RUSSELL SUMNER, SCOTT NORTON, S. KAY YOUNG
ROB ST. MARY
MM-O-DD SOCIAL COUNCIL+
BRYAN CUELLO, CAMERON SUCRET, DAPHNE KANBEROGLU, JACOB EMMETT, JIM SERCU, MARGARET HENIGE, NATALIE MOLNAR
The Biomimicry On Belle Isle exhibition is located at the Belle Isle Aquarium. The year-long timeline will also be filled with Biomimicry periodic programming on the 3rd Saturday of the month starting after Earth Day 2022.
During Detroit's Month of Design , MM-O-DD uncovers 69 years of the Detroit underground scene of design. The interiors of clubs, the mystery and history of fashion and the secrets of sub-culture and design. Year by year 2022: PUNK 2023: TECHO 2024: ROCK AND ROLL
Featuring Professional Stylists inspired by a Fine Art work by a Detroit connected Artist. The opening reception will showcase strolling live looks and interactive vignettes.
The A-Z calendar of Exhibitions, Programs and events are the following. Biomimicry on Belle Isle: May 21, June 18, July 16, August 20 Mighty Real Queer Detroit: Tea Dance opening reception is on June 5. The month long exhibition is until June 30. BRAINWORXX: Opens in July. detroitUNDERGROUND 69 runs throughout the September which is the Detroit Month of Design and continues until the second week in October. The International Design Exhibition and Runway Showcase opens November 5.
DECICATED TO FEATURE BLACK DESIGN
DESIGNERS | STYLISTS | COLLECTORS
HISTORIC + CURRENT + FUTURE
FASHION | PRODUCT | INTERIOR | LIGHT | BEAUTY | ARCHITECTURE | JEWELRY | ACCESSORY | TEXTILE +
Donors, Sponsors, Alliances, Community collaboratives, Businesses and Individuals
We appreciate those who value design learning. Together we are making a difference.
We explore the past, dive into current innovation and ignite interest to discover the future of the Design Industry.
MM-O-DD is an AH-HA spark with innovative programming opening doors to the Design Industry.
*Abeesa, *Art Impact Connect, * Albert Kahn Legacy Foundation, American Alliance Of Museums, *American Association of State and Local Historical Museums, * Anew Life Prosthetics and Orthotics,
*Arrow Office Supply, * Banner Signs, Bees In The D, * Belle Isle Aquarium, * Belle Isle Conservancy, * BlueWorld Productions, * Build Institute, * Caleb Joye Films,
CCS:College For Creative Studies: Departments: Color and Material Design + Fashion Design + Jewelry Design, City of Detroit Arts, Cultue and Entrepreneuership Office, * Channel Iris,
* City of Detroit Arts, Culture and Entrepreneurship office, * Collected Detroit, * Culture Sourse, * Cuisine De' La Karine, DAXTON,
* Detroit Center For Design And Technology (LTU), Design Core Detroit, Design Core Network, * Detroit Design Festival, Detroit Month Of Design, Detroit Hives* Detroit Riverfront Conservancy,
* Downtown Boxing Gym-Youth Program,
* Display Group, DNR: Department Of Natural Resources Outdoor Adventure Center, * Fantasee Lighting, * FastSigns Detroit,* Global Ties > Detroit, GuideStar, * Hedgehog Health, Heinz C. Prechter Bipolar Research Program (U of M), * Ideation Orange, Industrial Sewing And Innovation Center (ISAIC), Jenesis Entertainment and Staffing, Kaftan Designs, Lost Artists Collective, Matthew Honkanen, *Michigan Museum Association, * Michigan Science Center, Might Real Queer Detroit, * Nature Comes Standard LLC, * Pernod Ricard, * Robert C. Jones Foundation, S. Kay Young Photography, The Lazov Agency, * Uniland Corp., * W/Purpose, * Wrighteous Designs
* Financial and/or In-Kind contributions